Friday, March 23, 2012

Mycologists, Male Nurses & The William J. Seymour General Hospital

There's a lot that I don't know about everything and you can add mycology to that list. Cortinarrii, polypori, tricholomae and whatever that last fungi is can be heaped upon the pile as well. It's hard to think of our area as a great mushroom hunting spot but I guess we're talking a hundred years ago and they apparently abounded then.

As much as I love mushrooms I don't think I could ever pick and eat them even if I had a trained eye for the task. I'd be too consumed with the possibility of imminent death by poisoning. I think being colorblind only adds to the phobia because differentiation is everything in matters such as those and I can't even tell green from brown let alone lighter hues of whatever the hell color mushrooms are. See! I don't even know what color mushrooms are.

*     *     *

I don't know if anybody else is as excited to see the wanted listings from Eloise as I am but just imagine being a florist at an asylum! It makes you think of a mad scientist or something like Little Shop of Horrors except that the people are the danger to society instead of an imagined bogeyman.

*     *     *


Finally, here's a photo of the William J. Seymour General Hospital at Eloise from 1963 which is currently on sale on eBay. I'll be honest, I muddle most of the facts concerning the various buildings and that's why I stick with the people who occupied them, though I do like this picture just the same.

No comments: