The Evening Argus, November 21, 1904
Doctors Seemann and Sellbu_ _ were apparently German ear and eye specialists of the early 1900s who not only cured blindness and deafness but furnished patients with gold glasses and spectacles for the menial sum of $2.50. Eat your dancing heart out Dr. Richard Golden!
One of their patients was none other than Minnie Smith of Eloise who was blind for 2 1/2 years from the effects of optic nerve paralysis. Seemann set her up with one of his mild antidotes and now she can read even the fine print. Just not the fine print of this news ad because the bumbling incompetents who scanned this page made sure of that.
* * *
The customized canvas tents were employed from 1903 until 1911 when the Sanitarium was completed. Allan Gregory was one of the unfortunates who left the tent in a body bag in the summer of 1909.
* * *
Detroit Free Press, December 10, 1922
Christmastime usually brings out the best in people concerning the unfortunates of society and Eloise greatly benefited from the public's generosity.
School children often organized toy drives or hand-crafted gifts for the residents of the various charity hospitals in the area.
Well-to-do societal ladies often arranged for holiday dinners to be prepared and knitted gifts and candy hand delivered to the women, children and elderly.
The Palestine Lodge quartet brought the sounds of Christmas to the Alms House in 1922. The quartet, in its 43rd year at the time, was an accomplished group of singers that performed at regular Masonic events as well as the funerals of lodge members.