Sunday, October 25, 2015

Psych Strike

The Owosso Argus-Press, November 16, 1962
I've come across several instances of Wayne County General Hospital workers going on strike and for the most part the matter bores me to death. But since this short blurb coincides with a photo that I've had posted for a few years I probably should comment on it.

The Detroit News, November 16, 1962
The other instances of strikes that I've come across were mainly for county workers in the 1970s and '80s. This one interested me because it was confined to the psychiatric division of Wayne County General Hospital and the elimination of 85 jobs there. Which is a significant number considering that many people, including myself, are under the impression that mental health cutbacks were a Reagan-era phenomenon. Obviously, they were well underway in the early 1960s.

No comments: