Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Treading Forbidden Paths With Roy Morris


I'm not sure where this postcard originated but I can verify exactly where it was shipped from and to: Eloise, Michigan to Romulus, Michigan, November 18, 1912. Or one hundred and three years ago and a few weeks.

The missive doesn't say much of substance and meanders between thoughts but I'll reproduce it the best I can:

November 17, 1912

Well Ray I made the grade all who got the car all right suppose you had some time after I left you but I wished I could of stayed longer if you ever have time when your over this way stop in your friend

S Pio? Maybe it's just a simple S. R. with some excess pen filigree ballet going on.


At least I think that's what it says. No matter, I suppose, since it's all filler. Anyway, we'd like to believe that the couple in the photo are both at Eloise chopping their way to freedom but it most likely was a staged photo for profit. Good for them and me for picking this up for $1.25 at Motor City Antiques.


UPDATE (7/15/2017):

Not that it's an important development but I found another example of this postcard on Deviant Art and it's in full color. Nice.


Of course, it doesn't have a message from Eloise so it's not better than mine though I have to admit to being a bit envious of it.

No comments: