Monday, June 27, 2016

Left Alone at Nursery, Taken to Eloise

Detroit Times, June 6, 1944
One of my long-time preoccupations has been reading old newspapers. The majority of that activity has occurred online on the various free archive sites. In the last few years I have started collecting vintage newspapers from estate sales and antique stores.

Being the scarcest of the Detroit dailies the Detroit Times has become my favorite to procure. While quickly perusing the partial copy of the June 6, 1944 edition that I have I somehow spotted this small blurb and picture featuring James and Robert Luyskx (it may actually be spelled Luyckx as several Google searches have pointed in that direction).

The two tots, then aged 2 1/2 and 10 months old, were left at a Plymouth, Michigan nursery. The caption says abandoned but since I have no follow-up I'll give their parents the benefit of the doubt.


If still alive they would be in their early to mid 70s. It'd be interesting to hear how the story and their lives played out. I must dig further on the matter.

No comments: